Identify and beautify public infrastucture in DeSoto.
1. Finalize the Keep DeSoto Beautiful (KDB) Strategic Plan | Parks | Start FY 2022 Q1 | Complete FY 2022 Q1
2. Complete an implementation plan for the KDB Strategic Plan | Parks | Start FY 2022 Q2 | Complete FY 2022 Q3
3. Review the Cultural Arts Master Plan for public infrastructure beautification | City Manager’s Office | Start FY 2022 Q1 | Complete FY 2022 Q3
4. Develop a list of median infrastructure/monument repair and art projects | Parks & Development Services | Start FY 2022 Q2 | Complete FY 2022 Q4
5. Develop a list of options for locations and projects to fund public art in the Hampton Corridor Redevelopment projects | Development Services | Start FY 2022 Q2 | Complete FY 2022 Q4
6. Develop options to include funding of public art in significant public projects | City Manager’s Office | Start FY 2022 Q2 | Complete FY 2022 Q3
7. Develop a list of public art projects at DeSoto park facilities | Parks | Start FY 2022 Q2 | Complete FY 2022 Q
8. Develop a process for requiring public art in significant redevelopment incentive agreements | Economic Development | Start FY 2022 Q4 | Complete FY 2023 Q1
2nd Quarter Update
In Q2, the Arts Commission reviewed and approved an artist for the public mural project. The approved artist was presented to the City Council on April 18, 2022. The Black Lives Matter project solicitation was prepared in Q2 and issued in April 2022. Staff also worked to identify funding for public art in the Hampton Road street design project. The Keep DeSoto Beautiful (KDB) Strategic Plan was approved by the KDB Board and accepted by the City Council. This plan identifies goals for member assignments and outcomes. The Parks Department also submitted parks locations to the Arts Commission as locations for potential art projects. Those locations included the Amphitheater stage and poles, Zeiger basketball courts, the Black Box atrium, Roy Orr Trail, Briarwood Park, and the DeSoto Ranch Nature Trail.
1st Quarter Update
The Arts Commission has completed the development of policies and procedures for procuring public art, and the first solicitation is in process with the expectation of the commission and completion of a public art mural project in FY 2022. The Keep DeSoto Beautiful strategic plan has been developed and is scheduled for acceptance in Q2. City staff has made significant landscaping improvements around the City Hall complex and in key medians throughout the community.