How do I change the zoning of property?
There are a number of steps associated with changing the zoning of property. These steps include:
• Submit a change of zoning application to the Planning & Zoning Division. The application must include a description of the property to be rezoned (site plan, legal description, metes & bounds), applicable fee, and zoning request (current zoning and change being requested).

• Staff will then review the request, and subsequently publish the appropriate public hearing notices for both the Planning & Zoning (P&Z) Commission and City Council (public hearings are required for zoning change requests). Letters will also be sent out to every property owner within 200 feet of the property in question notifying property owners of the request.
P&Z Commission meets are held the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month and City Council meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month (unless otherwise posted).

• The zoning change request is then considered by the P&Z Commission and a recommendation is made to the City Council to grant, deny or grant the request with modifications. If the P&Z Commission feels they do not have enough information to consider the request, they have the option to postpone or table the item to allow for additional information to be furnished.

• Finally, the City Council will consider the zoning change request to grant, deny or grant the request with modifications. Zoning Change Application

Show All Answers

1. What is zoning?
2. Where do I obtain maps of the city?
3. How do I change the zoning of property?
4. Where can I find information about permitted uses in each zoning district?
5. What are the chances of getting a zoning changed?
6. What are the steps in the platting process?
7. How do you obtain copies of different plats or subdivisions?
8. How do you obtain a specific address and/or location within the City of DeSoto?