DeSoto offers a curbside recycling program for all residents. Recycle bins are available at the Utility Billing department at a cost of $5 each. New residents receive one bin when they turn on their water service. If you have more than fits into the bin, it is recommended that you use clear plastic bags for additional recycle items. These bags can be purchased at the Utility Billing department for $4.76 or at local stores. Trash bags can also be purchased at Utility Billing for $9.56.
Items that can be placed in the recycle bin include:
- Plastic - Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7
- Glass - All colors of glass bottles can be recycled. Bottles only. No plate glass, ceramic or mirrors.
- Metal - All metal (tin/aluminum) food and beverage cans can be recycled. It’s not necessary to remove the label, but please remove the lids and rinse out all food waste. No aluminum foil.
- Newspapers, Catalogs, Magazines, Junk mail, Cardboard and Mixed Household Paper - Place all household paper products in a brown paper grocery sack and put beside or inside your bin. These loose paper products need to be separate from other materials in your bin.
- No tissues, wet paper or paper contaminated with food products are accepted.
- All cardboard must be broken down to a size that will fit inside your recycle bin. Larger boxes can be placed under your recycle bin.
Recycling is collected on Wednesday, so the container should be placed out on Wednesday morning by 7:00 a.m. to ensure collection. Please do not forget to pull your cart back to the house after it has been emptied.
I need a larger container for recycling.
Republic Waste Services provides 96 gallon recycling containers for residential curbside recycling. To obtain one of these containers contact the Action Center at 972-230-9600. Once the cart has been delivered a $2.75 lease charge will be added to your monthly water bill. This charge will cover any damage or repair to the container.
Where is the cart placed for service?
The cart should be rolled to the same place that it was delivered. Proper placement of the cart is extremely important. Every Wednesday the cart should be rolled to within two feet of the edge of the street by 7:00 a.m. Make sure the handles are facing your house, so that when the cart is lifted, the lid opens toward the street. Please check to see that it is not blocked by parked cars, trailers, boats, etc. Postmaster requires carts be placed far enough away from the mailbox that the carrier can get to the mailbox without interference.