Click "Civil Service Exam Info" on the left for information on the latest test.
DeSoto is a growing, progressive city of approximately 47,000 located in southwest Dallas County, along Interstate Highway 35, just south of Interstate Highway 20.
The DeSoto Police Department maintains a reputation as one of the most respected police departments in the Metroplex. Innovative programs and approaches to community problems consistently bring the department a high approval rating on annual citizen surveys. The police department continues to move forward in its effort to achieve excellence in service. In March 1993, the department became accredited. The accreditation standard is bestowed only on a handful of departments nationally that have met numerous high professional standards.
The department offers a wide variety of career opportunities, including:
- Criminal Investigations
- Bike Patrol
- Honor Guard
- Tactical Unit
- Traffic Unit
- School Resource Officer
- Internal Affairs
- Youth Services
- Hostage Negotiation
Requirements for Employment
To be considered for employment with the DeSoto Police Department, applicants must meet or pass the following minimum requirements and tests:
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and not over 44 years of age at the time of the entrance examination.
- Possess a high school diploma; if you do not have a high school diploma, you must have a GED along with 12 hours of college credit from an accredited university with a minimum of 2.00 grade point average, or you must have 2 years full time military experience. No college credit hours are required if you possess a high school diploma.
- Must pass written examination, physical fitness tests and medical tests, drug screen, and eyesight must be correctable to 20/20.
- Must pass polygraph exam and psychological evaluation.
- Be of good moral character as confirmed by a background check.
- Possess a valid Texas driver license not in jeopardy of suspension or revocation.
- Must not have ever been convicted of any offense above a “Class B” misdemeanor or its equivalent, or have been convicted of a “Class B” misdemeanor within the past five years.
- If any previous military experience, must have been honorably discharged. (For veterans, preference points will be given with a copy of the DD214 attached to application.)
- No illegal drug use for the past five years
The entire testing and background process takes approximately two to four months to complete depending on where the applicant falls on the eligibility list.
The City of DeSoto does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services. The City of DeSoto is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.