Coordinate strategic plans for DeSoto ISD and the City of DeSoto.
City Work Plan
1. Strengthen and support efforts to engage DeSoto youth
• Develop recommendations from the City’s Youth Master Plan upon completion | City Manager’s Office | Start FY 2021 Q2 | Complete FY 2021 Q3
• Participate in the Texas Municipal League Youth Advisory Council Summit | Parks Department | Start FY 2021 Q3 | Complete FY 2021 Q3
• Support youth participation in the Library Teen Advisory Board | Library Department | Start FY 2021 Q1 | Complete FY 2021 Q4
• Reimagine and restructure the Junior Civic Academy to engage additional youth | City Manager’s Office | Start FY 2021 Q3 | Complete FY 2021 Q4
• Establish a DeSoto Teen Council for youth engagement with the Mayor and City Council | City Manger’s Office | Start FY 2021 Q3 | Complete FY 2021 Q4
2. Establish regular quarterly meetings for staff and elected officials to review the status of strategic plan outcomes and plan for opportunities for collective goal achievement | City Manager’s Office | Start FY 2021 Q2 | Complete FY 2021 Q4
1st Quarter Update
The Library has provided eight programs in the first quarter of 2020 for teens on the Teen Advisory Board. Planning is underway for a virtual Teen Expo to be held in April 2021 that will be presented by the Teen Advisory Board. City Staff met with UTA consultants in November to discuss the draft Youth Master Plan. In December 2020, City staff provided UTA consultants comments to the draft Youth Master Plan and is currently awaiting the final plan from the consultant. The Youth Master Plan will be finalized in Quarter Two and presented to City Council at the March Topical Work Session. The DeSoto ISD Board and the City Council are working to establish the first meeting in the first quarter of calendar year 2021. A finalized date is pending approval from both organizations. An agenda will be completed in January 2021 focusing on the group's effort collaborating on strategic priorities for each organization that present opportunities for partnership. Parks and Recreation staff will begin planning in Quarter Two for the revised Junior Civic Academy. A Youth Engagement Planning Committee has been established and will consist of representatives from DeSoto ISD, DeSoto Library, DeSoto Police Department, and DeSoto Parks and Recreation. City staff had planned on participating in the Texas Municipal League Youth Advisory Council Summit in 2020; however, the event was canceled due to COVID. Staff will investigate alternative methods for collecting best practices in 2021.